Oven-Roasted Pulled Pork Burger
Preparation time: 2 days
Does anything beat a tender, juicy and spicy pulled pork burger? We think not. For this recipe, the preparation takes two days – 12 hours for the marinating time and an additional 10 hours for cooking. I mean, good things take time! Nevertheless, our Oven-Roasted Pulled Pork Burger is easy to prepare and has a superb taste. A mouth-watering smoky barbecue result, we can assure you!
What you'll need
- 2,5 kg boneless pork neck
- 600 ml pineapple juice
- 600 ml JS Vegetable Broth
- 4 tbsp medium-hot mustard
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- ½ tin JS Steak Rub
- 500 ml BBQ sauce of your choice
- meat thermometer
- 4 burgers buns
- 1 cup coleslaw
How to prepare these amazing burgers
- Brush the boneless pork neck with mustard, rub in the JS Steak Rub and massage everything well. Wrap the spiced meat tightly in cling film and place in the fridge for 12 hours.
- The next day, take the meat out from the fridge around 2 hours prior preparation. Once you are ready to start cooking, preheat the oven to 225 °F (top/bottom heat).
- In a wide casserole dish, mix the pineapple juice, the JS Vegetable Broth and the sugar. Place the casserole dish on a tray and set them both on the lowest rail in the oven. Next, set a grid on the middle rail and place the meat with the meat thermometer on it. The idea is that the meat juices drip into the baking dish. Cook for 5 hours brushing the meat generously with the broth from the casserole dish every 60 minutes. Do not be surprised if the temperature falters between 75-80 degrees and does not rise, just wait! Good pulled pork takes time.
- Once the pork is at 85/90 degrees, take it out and turn off the oven. Wrap the pork in aluminium foil and leave to rest in the oven for 60-90 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, take the remaining stock (approx. 300 ml) and mix it with 2/3 of the BBQ sauce. Bring to a boil.
- Once the pork has cooled, mince it and mix with the sauce.
- Finally, serve the meat with coleslaw in a burger bun. You can freeze the rest of the pork in portions, ready to go, in case of emergency!